History of MAAPA
MAAPA was originally founded in October 1935 as the Bituminous Concrete Association and renamed the Massachusetts Asphalt Pavement Association in November of 1968. In January of 1990, the Massachusetts Crushed Stone Association, originally organized in 1977, and the Massachusetts Asphalt Pavement Associationmerged to form the Massachusetts Aggregate & Asphalt Pavement Association. The consolidated association represents owners and operators of hot mix asphalt plants and stone quarries throughout the state. In Massachusetts, there are forty-five hot mix asphalt plants and over thirty quarries providing sand, gravel, concrete and asphalt products, rail ballast, septic tank stone and a host of other materials. Directly or indirectly, MAAPA members employ thousands of plant workers, truckers, and construction crews across the state.